Macedonia Baptist Church, located on County Road 35 south of Fayette, will celebrate its 125th anniversary of Christian service on Sunday, Sept. 30. The church was founded on Nov. 19, 1893 when five men and six women assembled at Sulphur Springs School House to organize a new Missionary Baptist Church. Those individuals that gathered on that day were J.A. South, J.B. Kemp, Ira Griffin, G.W. Newton, J.M. Lindsey, F.A. South, Sara E. Kemp, Susan A. Griffin, T.O. Newton, Nora Lindsey and Ethel Kelley. This group pioneered the first church known as Macedonia Baptist Church and originally met at Gumbud School.
See complete story in The Times-Record.