The Whitney House


Pictured is the Whitney House.

Many of us remember the Whitney House, a large old hotel/boarding house that sat among huge oak trees on the property where the Fayette Fire Department and Fayette Police Station now stand. The house was built by Marion F. Caine, a 50- year-old farmer, who was elected sheriff of Fayette County and served from 1884 -1888. Caine purchased the two-acre plot from Balus E. and Annie E. Grace on June 6, 1884 for $1,100, a very large amount in those days.

 


See complete story in The Times-Record.
Subscribe now!